In individuals with SCI, a variety of things can trigger AD including blocked catheters, bowel routines and sexual activity .
The Leading Causes of AD
Common Causes of AD
- Skin: constrictive clothing/device, pressure sore or ingrown toenail
- Latrogenic (diagnostics): , colonoscopy, suctioning, for sperm retrieval.
Other Possible Causes of AD
- Genitourinary (GU): bladder or kidney stones, , scrotal compression, coitus, pregnancy
- Skin: burns, blisters, bites, hard/sharp objects
- Musculoskeletal (MSK): , fractures, trauma
Click on the videos below to learn about a number of these triggers.
Uncoordinated contraction of bladder sphincter and bladder.
Medical examination of urinary bladder.
Medical procedure that involves special medical equipment to obtain a sperm sample.
Inflammation of the epididymus.
Formation of a bone in an inappropriate place.